My Musings

Reasons why a blogger declines your review request and doesn’t want you on their blog. #BookBloggers #BookBlogger #Bloggers #Blogger #Authors #BlogPost

declinesrequest

I saw a fantastic blog post on this exact subject a few months back on the My Peacock Books blog. Due to some of the contact I’ve recently received on my own blog, it got me thinking about the reasons why we decline and so, I decided to broach the topic myself and write my own post on the subject.

I will point out that this post isn’t meant to be harsh, it’s purely meant to be a truthful and possibly helpful look into the reasons why a blogger has declined your review request or your offer to appear on their blog and ignored your contact.

Before anyone says I’m hating, I’m not and I’ve had plenty of authors appear on my own little blog.

Below you will find my list of the reasons why a blogger declines your review request and doesn’t want you to appear on their blog followed by the views of some of my blogging peers.

Too many requests.

The reason your request has been declined or ignored could be as simple as it is the wrong place at the wrong time for the blogger.

If a blogger has been inundated with contact from various authors then you might get lost in the pile of requests and the blogger just forgets to reply or even misses reading the contact.

Bloggers can’t read all the books and we can’t feature all the authors either, our blogs aren’t a free-for-all and sometimes we just get too many requests and can’t reply or agree to host you.

The type of book you offer.

Lots of authors due to cost only offer ebooks for review and lots of bloggers (myself included) prefer print books.

I understand that you have to consider money (maybe consider that when paying for reviews) and that the cost of an ebook is negligible compared to the cost of a print book and the shipping to a blogger but, if the blogger prefers print, they prefer print.

To many, a book is a book regardless of electronic or paper but to others, they are giving you a review and in return, they want an actual book, something solid for the time they’ve given in reading your book.

Quite a few people don’t even read ebooks with reasons ranging from the medical to ‘just because I don’t‘ and really, whatever the blogger’s reason it’s their reason ergo, it’s valid.

In today’s society a lot of it is technologically based, video games, you’re looking at a screen, TV and film, it’s a screen, chances are with your job you’ll spend at least some of the time looking at a screen, blogging, it’s looking at a screen and the copious amount of hours that people spend glued to their phone, again, it’s a screen.

For reading, it’s nice to read a print book, forgoing technology and yet another screen and stepping back from the modern electrical way for something real.

Unprofessional contact and your attitude in contact.

Some of the contacts that have come through on my blog have been rather dodgy and rather unprofessional in manner.

My own grammar sucks but no commas, capital letters or full stops, hell, even I manage a few of them. Spelling too, I understand that English won’t be the first language for all but spellchecker would be an idea as a block sentence with no punctuation and errors in spelling really does give off an unprofessional vibe and will make the blogger question and consider reading your book and having you on their blog as how do they know that your book or blog post won’t be riddled with errors when your contact was?

When contacting us manners and politeness cost nothing and if we agree to review your book or have you on our blog then we are doing you the favour NOT the other way around. Please don’t have an attitude and make it appear like you are doing us the favour by offering us a review copy and asking for the chance to appear on our blogs when you contact us, no, we get a book, you get a review, we get a blog post and you get exposure and that is a mutually beneficial relationship for us both, not just you.

Don’t make out in contact that it is our job to have you on our blog, it’s not. Blogging isn’t our job, it’s a hobby and something we do in our spare time and our sole purpose isn’t to host you.

I’d also suggest that you don’t try to be cute, funny and clever. For example, writing stuff like ‘I guarantee you will relate to my book and love it‘ should be a no-no! You cannot guarantee that so don’t write it!

Also, don’t send unsolicited ebooks or attachments (I’m requesting a book spotlight here’s the cover, blurb, etc) along with the contact. Sending an ebook is very presumptuous of you (if we want to read your book we’ll reply) and wrong.

Frankly, lots of people won’t open attachments from a stranger either, it’s unsafe and could be spam or a virus, also, again, it’s presumptuous as you are presuming that we’ll agree to host you on our blog.

When contacting a blogger follow the rule of the 3 P’s!

  • Professional!
  • Polite!
  • Personal!

What’s in a name?

Well, to answer my question, everything! You wouldn’t refer to GRRM as ‘that dude who wrote Game of Thrones‘ or JK Rowling as ‘that chick who wrote Potter‘ and it’s uncool and disrespectful if you refer to a blog/blogger by the wrong name too.

Yes, mistakes can happen but really, if you have thoroughly checked out the blog before initiating contact then you should get the blog and blogger’s name right.

Chances are and I’ll tell you now, that they are very high chances that if you use the wrong blog and/or blogger name then your request will be deleted straight away.

Right, I’m off to email George R. R. Martin and call him Jeff Martin to prove my point and while I’m on the subject Stephanie King still hasn’t replied back to me yet either!

Generic and mass email.

Sending out a mass email is just uncool, if you want to appear on a bloggers blog then show that you have at least checked the blog out first.

We don’t appreciate or want a generic mass email that starts with ‘dear blogger‘ or the equivalent. It’s the same as a spam email or junk mail through the letterbox that is addressed to either ‘the resident‘ or ‘the occupier‘ and both those sorts of mail, for many, go straight in the trash, if you send out mass contact chances are that most of the time it will end up in the trash too, often without even being read.

Unless stated by the blogger on their profile FB and Twitter DM’s aren’t an appropriate way of contacting a blogger.

One thing that grates on and irks me and others is DM messages asking for reviews on social media. Most blogs have a way for you to contact the blogger on them, use them, that’s why they are there!

It has to be asked that when you get a random DM through social media how do you even know that the author has actually bothered to check out your blog first and hasn’t just chanced it after seeing that you are a book blogger on their social media feed?! You don’t!

You expect us to purchase your book and then review it.

We don’t have issues with buying books but if you contact us through our blog looking for and wanting a review from us then it’s usually with the offer of a free book in exchange for the review.

You expect a review by a certain date.

Most bloggers are amenable to reviewing by a specific date as long as they are given enough time to read the book and write the review. Which, depending on reading speed varies from blogger to blogger.

If you are after a review to coincidence with the upcoming release of your book then as I just mentioned, if you’ve contacted the blogger with enough time to read your book then chances are they will accept.

Don’t, however, change the goal posts and decide that after the blogger has already agreed to review your book that you actually do want the review by a certain date, transparency people, transparency, if it’s not mentioned or mutually agreed upon in the original contact then it’s not applicable.

Some don’t review to a set date, their choice, can’t fault them for that and OK, ask, they might make an exception. But some authors contact bloggers and expect a review by a certain date for a book that has been out for months or even years and in that case, no, I don’t agree with that. If the book has already been released then you shouldn’t be putting time constraints on someone who reads and reviews in their spare time.

You are known in the blogging community for being an arse and having a bad attitude towards bloggers and negative reviews.

Let’s face it, no book, ever, has been unanimously loved by all and there’s a chance, no matter how slight that a blogger won’t like your book and unfortunately, will either not post a review or will post a negative review depending on their blogging preference.

If this happens, while I fully understand that you want your book to be loved, if it isn’t, simply put, deal with it like an adult and move on. A negative review (or if the blogger doesn’t post negative reviews then the correspondence and explanation to you by email) is only that bloggers opinion and it doesn’t mean that your book is bad only that it wasn’t for that particular reader.

Blogging is a community, we like, share and comment on other blogs posts and many will even call some other bloggers friends. We talk to each other and if you have form and are a known commodity for being difficult to work with, spamming other bloggers with requests, asking for constant updates and have been known to be abusive to bloggers and act like a diva. Well, then, we may well decide that we are better off not risking working with you and will choose not to read your book or have you on our blogs.

Some prefer to deal with a publisher and publicist as a middle ground and a buffer in case of any negative or abusive behaviour.

This ties into the above point. Granted, bad behaviour doesn’t happen very often and it is frowned upon by all. Both bloggers and your fellow authors will unite against that sort of behaviour as it doesn’t wash and only serves to give you all a bad name and is just wrong.

Due to the chance of it happening though some bloggers simply prefer to deal with publishers and publicists as it is a safety barrier. If an author causes hassle then they can report the author to the publisher and hopefully, that would stop the abuse.

Whereas, if a blogger is in direct contact with an author and the contact subsequently turns sour then there’s no buffer to protect the blogger against any possible abuse.

Simply put, we don’t do this for the hassle and some choose to only work with publishers for the ease and the safety that it provides.

You ignored that we are currently closed to review requests.

Yes, I know dear reader, it should be obvious shouldn’t it that if a blogger is closed to requests then they will decline and ignore the contact from an author asking for a review.

Even though a blogger is closed to requests often they are still amenable to having you appear on their blog. Guest posts, book excerpts and author interviews are all types of posts that lots of bloggers offer.

If that is the case, then, seriously, if a blogger accepts to have you on their blog for any of the aforementioned posts, send ALL the relevant information so that the blogger can draft up the post, it’s not our job to get it. Sure, we all make honest mistakes, people forget things at times, it happens and if that’s the case, then cool, we don’t begrudge getting some of the information but please don’t take advantage of the good-natured amongst us and please show that you’ve at least made an effort yourself.

We don’t read the genre of your book.

Often we will receive requests for books in genres that we don’t read. Most bloggers include the list of genres that they read and don’t read in their review policy.

Now, if you’ve checked out the policy and blog then you will be aware of the genres that the blogger is prepared to read and review, why ask them to review a book in a genre that they don’t read?! It’s crazy and it is something that again, makes you question if the author even bothered to really check out the blog in the first place before contacting the blogger.

It is also (in my opinion) valid for a blogger to decline to have you on their blog if your book doesn’t fit the genres that they read.

There are so many wonderful blogs out there if one doesn’t read your genre then save everyone the hassle and move on to another blog and you never know, it could well be the perfect fit for you and your book.

Time.

Tick tock goes the clock and it is forever moving forward! We only have a finite amount of time available to us, not infinite and unfortunately, due to that, we can’t read all the books.

Our time is precious and we will give priority to those books that we want to read possibly without adding yours to our ever-growing reading list.

Many bloggers set a limit on the amount of time that they will spend blogging and drafting up posts each week too. If they don’t have the time then they won’t accept your offer to appear on their blog either.

Sorry folks, you can’t stop, argue with or turn back time.

Your book just doesn’t appeal to us.

It might be hard for you to stomach but just because we read the genre that your book is in, it doesn’t necessarily mean that we will want to read your book.

Sadly, some of you assume that just because we read the genre that we will want to read your book and that is not the case.

You have to realise that not every book will appeal to every reader. The cover might put us off (harsh but true), the blurb may not entice us and we could have seen negative or less than favourable reviews from bloggers we trust.

If your book doesn’t appeal to us and we don’t think we will enjoy it then chances are, we won’t want to read it and if we have no interest in reading it then many bloggers also won’t want to promote it.


Remember, if we decline your review request or to have you on our blog it’s not personal, it’s not malicious, it’s how it is and it’s just life.


I decided that I’d reach out via Twitter and ask my fellow bloggers if they wanted to contribute to the post with a brief paragraph on the reasons why they themselves decline requests as I thought it would give a broader spectrum than purely my own thoughts and opinions. 

Why my fellow bloggers decline requests.

Dave from espresso coco wrote:

I’m not sure if have anything new to add other than ‘busy doing other stuff and my tbr pile is already threatening to kill me’


Lucinda Barton of Bakes Books and My Boys wrote:

Oooh, my top three favs!”I cant pay you but think of the exposure!” The ones who want “a positive spin on the review and no negatives but of course an honest review” the “, while I cant, send you the product to review please use this great photos to write up how great our product is”


Claire from Brizzlelass Books wrote:

For me it could be a variety of reasons, my own “workload” its not just that I have a lot of books scheduled in sometimes I already have a lot of content scheduled in as well, the way the approach email is written…an awful lot of them are very presumptuous and my guidelines clearly haven’t been read, not using my name, not listening to me. I recently turned down a review but offered a content post, I went back and forth about five times and in each of their replies, they referred to my review it ended with me blacklisting them and deleting the email. And sometimes I just don’t like the sound of the book, I don’t really do YA or suspense/thriller but you wouldn’t believe the number of requests I get in these genres.


Danielle from Books, Vertigo and Tea wrote:

99% of the time, if I have declined a review or content request, it is for one single reason: the solicitor did not bother to read my policies. My policies are pretty specific. While, I greatly appreciate the amount of time that goes into marketing, I expect the same in return. Blogging is a full-time passion for me. My time is also divided between family, work and life. Please do not waste it. It is discouraging to open up an email soliciting reviews I am not accepting or requesting features for genres I state I do not accept. It’s a give and take relationship. Show me some respect, and I will take the time.


Yvonne from Me and My Books wrote:

For me, it is a “finding the time to read the book” issue.

I already have many commitments for blog tours, NetGalley also books already sent from publishers or authors. Rather than accept any more books, that I may not get to for 4-6 months, I took the decision to stop accepting requests.

During the summer my job takes priority, and living in Cornwall, working in a tourist-based industry hours can be manic. Because of this, I am also having a blog tour break, instead of reading to a timescale I will be concentrating on my own book pile.

Sometimes life, paying bills and eating has to take priority. I would love to be in the position to be able to read more but, at the end of the day, this is one of my hobbies.

Reading is a hobby, blogging is a by-product of my hobby and I enjoy them both dearly. They are something I choose to do in my spare time and I review for free.


Kathy from Books & Munches wrote:

Writers contacting me through my contact form where it’s in big bold letters that I’m not accepting any review requests yet they’re asking me to review their novel. NOPE.

Then contacting me a 2nd time through my contact form saying they saw I’m not accepting requests so would I please do a simple something to boost their novel. Why do you go through my contact form again? Just admit that you were wrong the first time and reply on my own mail.


Eva from Novel Deelights wrote:

I’m currently not accepting review requests because things got pretty overwhelming quickly and my backlog freaked me out. Nevertheless, as you know, that doesn’t stop emails landing in your inbox. Those I ignore immediately are the impersonal ones and those offering a genre I quite obviously don’t read. Mostly, like many others, it’s just lack of time. There are only so many hours in a day and between blog tours, Netgalley and books I’ve actually bought, it’s a miracle I ever get any sleep. 😄


Bethan from Bethan May Books wrote:

I’m coming up to my one-year bloggerversary in July.

To begin with, I was posting reviews of books I was reading for pleasure, wondering how on earth bloggers were being sent brand new books for free.
Then people started getting in touch asking if I’d review their book if they sent it to me, and I was too flattered and excited to say no!

I was lucky that a lot of these books I did enjoy, a couple I wasn’t so lucky with… But I was beginning to feel like it was a chore, and there were so many books I was missing out on.

Closing my blog to requests has been a massive help, and since those earlier days I feel more confident and established to be able to contact authors and publishers and request books that I would actually like to read.

It’s difficult to feel positive about a book when you see it as a chore or an obligation; it isn’t fair on you and of course, it isn’t fair on the author whose sweat and tears they’re hoping you enjoy :/


Cat from My Peacock Books wrote:

When I started blogging I was getting requests from lots of people once I’d been established. I was naive back then though and desperate not to disappoint anyone so I accepted all requests and found myself overwhelmed with the number of requests I got. It all got too much for me though and instead of reading and reviewing for pleasure I started to find it a chore. It became so bad that I started to resent the blog I had and missed reading books just for the love of it. Now a seasoned book blogger I now rarely accept any requests on my new blog as I have built a blog that I like the feel and look of and it reflects my own tastes. It’s filled with reviews for books I enjoy reading or consider reading rather than reviews of books that I’d never consider or want to read. I also don’t readily accept requests, especially directly from authors, because of what happened on my old blog. Many authors seemed to treat me like a service and didn’t care to see whether my blog fitted their book (an erotica book offered on a blog that doesn’t do erotica and is child-friendly!). I was also called a bunch of inappropriate names at the time including my blog name, ‘Terry’ and the classic ‘Kent’!…I’m a girl called Cat by the way! d’oh…Oh and of course I often decline stuff simply because I don’t like it or haven’t got time these days. We all have our reasons.


Debra from Open Book Post wrote:

My main reason is that I have too many books currently to read & review. I also decline because the subject matter does not appeal to me. Once, I had an author say “I guess I will do you the favor of reading my book for free” Umm you contacted me, I’m doing you the favor.


Lois from Lois Reads Books wrote:

When I am contacted and they don’t even know my name. I get Dear…, a lot. It is not hard to work out my name, it is literally in my blog name and email address. It is just polite to know someone before you contact them for a review.


Rebecca from Powder & Page wrote:

Why would I decline to review (or accept) a book? Well, there are a few reasons actually, so here goes… The biggest reason I turn down books is because I simply don’t have time! I know my limits pretty well, so try not to accept more books than I can read in a month. I also turn down books because I don’t like the synopsis. Life is too short to read things that don’t interest me, so if your synopsis (aka the attention grabber) is boring, generic, or seems to fall outside my range of interest I usually pass. The third biggest reason I’ll turn down a review request or book offer is if the early Goodreads reviews are BAD. If I’ve never read and/or heard of a particular author, I’ll see what the earliest of early reviewers are saying. If they’ve actually reviewed the book and not just put in a random rating, I’ll make my decision based on their opinion. Of course, sometimes I disregard that and accept a book anyway.


Erica from Erica Robyn Reads wrote:

I have a very strict honest review request policy and on the page, I have a note that I’m not currently accepting new reviews. So I really hate when authors email me just assuming I will take the review. Then of course when I respond telling them that they get offended and rude. That’s an instant no for me even if my initial comment to them was “I’m not currently accepting reviews but I can slot you in if I have an opening.”

I also decline when the book is clearly outside my preferred genres, as again, stated on my honest review page.

And for emails that are clearly cookie cutter requests complete with auto-fill names, I delete those immediately. If they can’t take the time to make sure my name is correct, I don’t want to work with them. I’ve gotten so many “Dear Erica Robyn Reads,” “Dear reads”


Mary from Our Book Reviews Online wrote:

I decline review requests for anything I don’t expect to enjoy. Yes, I could be ignoring a book I’d love, but I figure there are so many books, so little time to read them, and no author wants to read a review that’s basically “I didn’t like this book”


Tan from booknerdtan wrote:

Being asked for a review in a genre that you know you won’t be interested in then receiving a less than polite reply.

Clearly states my prefered genres on my blog- and I would just end up DNF’ing it! I’m doing you a favour :’)


A massive thanks to those of you who contributed, I appreciate it.


Many bloggers replied and after reading the responses I can see that most bloggers share very similar sentiments on the subject echoing many of the same thoughts.

I think the various reasons make for an interesting read and there are definitely some reoccurring themes that perhaps, some authors need to start considering when contacting bloggers.


Bloggers.

Thoughts?? Agree?? Disagree?? Do you have any of your own reasons to add to the list??


Authors.

Do you agree with the reasons given?? Are you guilty of any of the above?? Feel free to have your own say on the post, all views are welcome.


Follow The Tattooed Book Geek on:

TwitterGoodreadsBlog FacebookPersonal Facebook.

Advertisements

166 thoughts on “Reasons why a blogger declines your review request and doesn’t want you on their blog. #BookBloggers #BookBlogger #Bloggers #Blogger #Authors #BlogPost

  1. I really think I should close my blog to review requests as I pretty much never accept them for one key reason, time. I always seem to be buried under a TBR mountain and just don’t want to commit to reading another book by a certain date. Obvs if it was an all time fave author I may reconsider but generally I just can’t.

    I’m also not wholly comfortable dealing directly with authors. I’m terrified I’ll read the book and hate it and I won’t write a review saying I loved a book when I didn’t. It’s so much easier when I have a publisher as a buffer. I feel like I have more freedom to write whatever I really feel rather than moderating it so as not to cause offense or upset.

    Liked by 2 people

    1. Yeah, time is definitely a big deal, it is for me too. I don’t have enough time to read the books that I want without author requests too.

      Yeah, that’s understandable about the publisher, its not just the chance of hassle but as you say, if you don’t love the book then you don’t have the worry of telling the author directly and can tell the publisher instead.

      Like

  2. Excellent read! As an author prepping that notorious debut novel, I’ve been wondering about the whole “review” thing. Your reasons leave no room for misunderstanding. Any writer, struggling or not, should have the decency to abide by such common sense. Thank you!

    Liked by 3 people

      1. Oh heavens, no, not harsh at all! You’re being completely clear and open. Maybe it’s because I’m also a teacher, and I’ve gotten bizarre requests from students who want my phone number to: a) talk about their dating lives, b) call at 2am over a project due two hours ago, c) ask about their thesis for the twentieth time, d) etc. The fact that I have colleagues who ENCOURAGE handing out phone numbers just astounds me, because like HELL am I going through that again. Either email me, so I can get back to you with a detailed answer in less than 12 hours, or suffer in silence.
        I get where you’re coming from, is my point. 🙂

        Liked by 1 person

  3. This is such an honest, genuine article! You rarely find the words so politely and professionally put out as you did. If someone were to follow your three basic tips, and avoid the cliches, they’d make for an ideal author asking for a review of their book. Thanks for this wonderful article. I also agree with Kathy above when she says that it could be the Holy Grail for streamlining this whole process!

    Liked by 3 people

  4. What a great post! It’s so true that this is a mutual benefit for the blogger and the author, and where do they even get the right to get angry and call names if they get rejected? I get this a lot in my line of work (illustration), especially things like – do it for the exposure, or ‘hey, draw us a blueprint for an airport’, when I’m clearly doing children’s books for years. People are just too lazy to read a couple of sentences of what you accept and what you don’t.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you.

      Yeah, it is mutual benefit, I don’t get those who don’t see that. The blogger isn’t doing the author a favour and the author isn’t doing the blogger a favour, it’s beneficial to both and if more realised that it’d be better.

      I don’t know, really they shouldn’t get angry and call names as it’s wrong and reflects badly on them but sadly they do and this post is aimed at that type of person.

      Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you and I don’t know. I’m only a tiny blog with no blogging clout so I doubt many will see it but if just one author reads the post and sees where they are going wrong and changes their ways then that’s a very small win.

      Unfortunately, you can’t help those who don’t want help and those who realise after reading the post might change but for others, if they see no wrong in how they contact a blogger then some never change.

      Liked by 1 person

  5. Really love how this came together Drew! One of your best and super professional and direct. I, of course, agree with your points and those who contributed. I have been closed for over 6 months and still weed through the “I did not read your policy, but here is a random attached ebook.. please read.”. Thank you for mentioning names haha! Brilliant.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you but super professional?!?!? Damn! you sure?? that can’t be me! You are the second person to say that about the post! Tis a weird feeling. lmao

      You read most of my posts and know that I can be very blunt when I want, foul-mouthed and sarcastic too, this post wasn’t too blunt was it?? Because I tried to make it accessible and helpful not hating and blunt.

      Like

  6. Great post Drew. I regularly close our review requests, mainly because we have so many books on our TBR list. Unless I’m on a blog tour I never give a set date/time limit for a review and all those authors whose books we do accept are told that there will be a very long wait for a review – I have books on our list that have been on there for 12 months.

    I delete review request emails without responding to those that don’t use my name, or the blog name – may be harsh, but quite frankly I don’t care.

    I also don’t take request from those published with a particular publisher, so if I see the book is one of theirs I decline it – no I’m not going to state which one.

    Something that I hate in email requests (though it won’t make me instantly decline the book) is sending me details of what other people thought of your book. I had one last week that sent me 15 peoples reviews of his book – I don’t want to know what others have had to say about your book whilst you are pitching it to me, I want to make my own mind up.

    Liked by 1 person

      1. After talking about it yesterday I woke to an email asking for a review – We’re currently closed, telling me they love the blog and my reviews (Somehow I don’t think they even looked at my blog) and the best bit – it’s only 99c so won’t cost me a lot to buy it to review it – WTF. I just hit delete. Grrrr

        Liked by 1 person

      2. Lol, sorry, I had to laugh at that. They certainly ticked all the boxes for immediate deletion.

        I’ve just linked this post to my own review policy and started it ‘before you send me a mass generic request that I will delete and that you will doubtless have sent to many other bloggers at the same time please check out this post’.😂

        Like

  7. I just got a message on goodreads yesterday that hits up most of your points. Mass email, didn’t address me by name, a genre I never read, book already attached, ebook, etc. But mostly I was like, nah, because it was a kindle book, and I don’t own an ereader or tablet. And if you think I’m going to read a book exclusively on my phone, you got another thing coming. I don’t like turning the page every paragraph, but that’s just me.

    Liked by 1 person

      1. I mean, I guess I can see why they do it, but it IS a little presumptuous. Still, it’s probably what I would be inclined to do too. That way the socially awkward book blogger (me) doesn’t HAVE to respond if they feel weird, but can still read the book if they choose. But at the same time, attaching it makes me feel awkward because now I (the socially awkward book blogger) have to say thanks but no thanks, I don’t want the free book you’ve already sent me. What to do, what to do?

        Liked by 1 person

  8. Drew you have created a brilliant post. I was interested to see how this would come together and I was impressed. You have kept it polite and very professional (though I do love your rant posts) and I think that is really important that you get the message across for a post like this. Great job Drew xx

    Like

    1. Thank you. 🙂

      lol, third time someone has written professional about the post, a weird feeling for me! 🙂

      Ah, yeah, this wasn’t intended to be a rant so it was polite, for the purpose of it being helpful and seen as a decent post and not just a blogger moaning.

      i’m sure the rants will return as I do like ranting. 🙂

      Liked by 1 person

  9. Love this!! If I deny, it is for a good reason. Unfortunately, not every author is understanding. I had one question why I was reading when I had other responsibilities (which made me crack up laughing). Another one called me every name in the book and then some. I used to get upset but then I thought to myself “When have people gotten so entitled that they can be total asses to total strangers that want something from”. Then I stopped caring.

    I also do not accept requests on FB, Twitter, Tumblr or Goodreads. If I get them, I delete. I have a contact form on my blog for a reason. I also have the email connected to my blog listed for a reason too. And you just reminded me to add that I do not accept requests from those sites to my Book Review Policy.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thanks.

      Lol! That’s crazy! Why shouldn’t you be reading. They do have weird ideas sometimes. One once told me that being an author isn’t their job as they have a proper job but blogging is my job, ya, nope, not at all.😂

      I just don’t understand why they call people names when they get declined, it’s childish and paints them in a poor light.

      Liked by 1 person

      1. They really do….lol. I had one tell me that too. Nope, not my job. Don’t get paid for it…lol.

        Me either. I tell my kids its better to kill with kindness then to bring down with words. And I agree.

        Liked by 1 person

  10. There are people who ask you to BUY their book and then review it on your blog? Hmmm, something’s not right here…

    I agree with all of these. I have yet to be approached by anyone and asked to review things on my blog. I’m glad though, because I really don’t have the time to do it. Between working, dance, writing my own book, and keeping up with reading/blogging there’s no way I am going to be able to fit more stuff in.

    If this means I’ll never be a super popular blogger then oh well. *shrugs*

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Yep! I’m looking for reviews for my book, if you are interested in reading and reviewing it then you can find it on Amazon.😂

      Damn, you are doing well, do you have a review policy and contact? I’ll send some of the fruit loops your way!😉

      Being popular is overrated and often the ‘super popular’ bloggers aren’t as popular as they think. I’d rather be me than be popular anyway.

      Liked by 1 person

      1. My review policy is as follows: “Ask me if I’d like to review your book. The answer is probably “no,” but go ahead and ask anyway.

        I don’t care if I’m “popular” either. I mean, obviously I want to have some followers so I don’t feel like I’m just talking to myself all the time, but I don’t do any of this so I can pretend to be internet famous. I wouldn’t know what to do if I was internet famous anyway. I’d probably keep telling stories about throwing rib roasts at people and my vaginal crises…

        Liked by 1 person

  11. As an author as well as a blogger, I could have saved you some time and gad you copy and paste any literary agents ‘why we don’t accept policy’. It’s nice to know the same issues are faced by others in the book world.

    Great post,That Dude I Used to Work With! 😉

    Like

      1. Nope. I found that post to be right on the money. If an author takes offense at any of it, then that’s purely because they are guilty of whatever part they take offense about.

        I find that, if you have submitted to agents, you fast become accepting of the fact that countless thousand of people are out there trying to get accepted as well. And thus become more accepting of rejection.

        I know a few self-published who have the entirely opposite mindset. Not all of them, but in my experience they are a tad more guilty of it.

        Liked by 1 person

  12. Great post – I think you nailed the reasons why we turn down (or outright ignore) requests. I put a lot of thought into my review policy, and it frustrates me when it’s painfully clear the author or publicist hasn’t read it. There’s no quicker way to get your email deleted and your address marked as spam – other than, as you pointed out, sending me a blind mass-market email or one addressed to the wrong name.

    Liked by 1 person

  13. I love the requests that make you do all the work. You have to search for their book on Amazon or Goodreads. Or where they don’t even list the blurb or their book name. If I have to spend more time on a book request than it took you to make the email then it doesn’t sit right with me. Put some effort into it.

    Liked by 2 people

    1. That’s true and very annoying. On a similar note I once had an author just send me a file of their book. I had the book so I could start reading if I wanted to but I didn’t even know if I wanted to, they didn’t bother including any information about themselves or the work they’d written, just sent me a file of the book, lol!

      Liked by 2 people

  14. I actually had an author a while ago @ me on twitter asking if I would review their book. This author claimed to have “seen” my blog. The homepage of my blog clearly states that I’m not accepting reviews. I ended up putting in my Twitter bio that I’m not accepting review requests for that reason. Like don’t @ us on Twitter.

    Liked by 1 person

      1. Exactly and like, if this author had actually seen my blog then they would have seen that I’m not accepting requests. Like my contact information is on the homepage of my blog.

        Liked by 1 person

  15. Your post echoes the thought of many on the book reviewing community. Thank you.

    Part of my review policy ask that authors don’t try a hard sell by telling me how much I will like their book. So today I declined a book for that reason. It went like this…

    ‘My book is non-fiction, but it’s a rollicking read :). I have decided to choose you to review my book because of your professionalism and the honest reviews you give. I know that you will find the subject of my book interesting and insightful.’

    It reeked of sucking up, and was transparent that the author had spent little time finding out what I do read.

    Liked by 1 person

  16. Well done! This post should work as a sort of… contract between bloggers and authors, since it truly covers all the bases, or at the very least it should be indicated as required reading before submitting 🙂
    And worse than those who don’t bother reading the submission guidelines and/or the blog, to learn of the preferred genre, are those who contact you a few months after a (always polite) refusal to propose the same book, again. Depending on the current mood, I either don’t reply or remind them, this time quite pointedly, of their previous failed attempt. Don’t people keep a LIST of bloggers they contact? **sigh**
    😀

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you.

      I’m honestly not sure if they keep a list of bloggers or not. I’d presume that they would keep a list of bloggers who accepted the book and/or had them on their blog so it would go that they would keep a list of bloggers who declined but who knows. I once got an email from an author enquiring about being on my blog and I was like a like, dude, you’ve already appeared.😂😂

      Liked by 1 person

  17. If a book doesn’t appeal to me I decline, most times I would write back but I don’t always get the time. If the email already contains an ebook telling me to then post to amazon..um like hello have we even met?! Spamming me with emails constantly introducing yourself and ignoring the fact that I’ve already told you I have a number of commitments already and am not available is my current issue and it’s really irritating.. phew I feel better now lol

    Liked by 1 person

    1. I don’t understand sending the ebook, it’s probably just so they can follow up with another email a little later ‘innocently’ enquiring if you’ve read it. 😂

      The amazon thing annoys me as most of us state we also post our reviews on Goodreads and amazon anyway without being told too.

      Liked by 1 person

  18. Thank you SO much for putting this together! I’ve read through a few times now and I’m still so amazed that some of these things happen! *sigh* I’m so glad we all seem to be in this together! 😀
    Erica | Erica Robyn Reads

    Liked by 1 person

    1. It is quite shocking isn’t it?! You’d think some of it was just common sense and general courtesy. Sure, mistakes happen but some of the things shouldn’t happen and sad thing is, if the authors bothered a bit more in the initial contact then they might have a better outcome.

      We do! This post showed that! Luckily, I guess as it highlights that it’s not just me, a sole blogger moaning but thoughts that many share.

      Like

  19. Drew, I’m an author and I think this blog post is spot on. Oh and by the way, it’s never wrong or harsh to say what you feel is right … especially when it’s fair and lucid as this.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you. As an author I’m pleased you think it’s spot on and fair, that was the point of the post, to be truthful and also fair and not come across as hating, which was mainly why I added the harsh bit to the post to counteract any possible negativity as I didn’t want the post or comments to turn into that and luckily, they haven’t.

      Liked by 1 person

  20. This is a great post, thank you for mentioning me and my comment 🙂 This sums up every reason I could ever think of plus more on why bloggers refuse to review. It’s amazing how so many of us write about this all the time and the authors just don’t seem to ever listen.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. No worries and yeah, that’s very true. Including bloggers showed that many share the same thoughts on the subject and yet, sadly, as you say, authors don’t listen. If those that do these things bothered to read posts like this and change their ways then they’d have better luck with contacting bloggers.

      Liked by 1 person

  21. Drew, all of your points coincide with my thoughts on the subject. I get irritated when they don’t even attempt to read my ‘Review Policy’. I’ve had a few authors say they couldn’t find it… It is very easy to find. I’ve had a few authors spell my name wrong – that’s a turn-off. Mostly though, it is the TIME issue. I have over 180 titles in my review queue as of today. That means that if I read at my usual rate it will take me about 18 months to just read what I already have. Participating in blog tours causes me to shuffle my review queue which is unfair to those authors/titles that I’ve had to shuffle.
    I usually take the time to respond to review requests, but if I don’t, and then get ‘reminder’ emails that turns me off as well.
    Life is short. Reading is supposed to be a pleasurable experience (especially for an old retired lady like me). I read what I want to read and do not want any pressure to read books I don’t have any interest in.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Lots of us share the same thoughts, this post and the contributions from bloggers showed that. Which is good as it means we feel the same about it and the issues.

      Ah, yeah, I’ve had them pull that one on me and it doesn’t wash as my contact is on the same page as the policy.😂

      Exactly, time is an issue for us all, reading is a hobby and as you say, we don’t want pressure to read stuff we aren’t interested but sadly, some, not many but some are under the impression that a bloggers sole purpose is to accept every book to review.

      Liked by 1 person

  22. Such an excellent post! Basically, I agree with every single point you made here… Except for the physical copy only one; since I decided to settle down in a country with huge shipping costs, I mostly (sadly) read on my kindle, so I don’t mind the e-copies. I do mind authors clearly not reading my policies, getting my name wrong, saying they visited my blog when it clearly shows they haven’t or that I read a book similar to their books I didn’t read at all… Or asking for a review of a genre or element I never read. I have been limiting my requests for a while now, but I sure don’t see the change in my inbox. The ‘dear blogger, I can garantuee you will love this book. Have a copy and a positive review ASAP please’ emails are getting old. xD

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you.

      Yeah, I totally understand that about certain countries and ebooks and it’s fine. I don’t mind them only offering an ebook but if the policy says you only read or prefer print books then they should consider that. I’m also not a fan of the I’m poor and can’t afford to mail copies bit they often include about it either, sure, it’s probably true but it doesn’t need mentioning in contact.

      Eurgh, I hate the I’ll guarantee you will love the book stuff, they can’t guarantee it.😂

      Liked by 1 person

  23. I agree with everything you wrote. I have one extra step in my process. I blog everything, but also post on audible/goodreads/amazon. My amazon is linked to one email. I will always get the generic requests or ones where you can tell the person has NO idea that I run a blog to that email. Where I have a “real” email for people who have at least gone to the front page of my blog. The generic ones are “we noticed that you read ____ and we think you’ll really like [our book here]. Usually they’re not even freaking close. “We saw your review for The Martian and we think you’ll like our book about interspecies aliens mating with werewolves….” Wait wtf???

    Getting them to read AND follow the review request policies I’ve set up is the battle. If you spent 5 mins looking at the last 10 posts I wrote (not even clicking them) or look at one of my new and notable posts – you’d have an idea of the type of books I read. Yet I still get posts from YA to New Adult… just pisses me off. It feels so disrespectful.

    Liked by 1 person

      1. The time frame thing annoys me a lot. If it’s agreed upon in the original contact between the blogger and author then cool but it’s when it isn’t, there’s no time frame and they then start emailing for updates, have you started reading, when will you start, when’s the review going live, etc. So annoying.

        Like

  24. Well damn. You sure did cover all basis on the subject with this post. Personally, it’s just a desire to read the books that I own and get through that TBR before anything else. Then there’s the quality.. Not to be mean, but sometimes the books I get offered are barely… good… It pains me to end up realizing that they could’ve worked on it way more instead of hunting down reviews for their book. 😦 Awesome post, man. Keep it up.

    Liked by 1 person

  25. This is amazing. I’m seriously tempted to link this into my review policy, because I couldn’t say it better if i tired 😂

    I decline requests for two major reasons: the book isn’t my taste, and the person obviously hasn’t looked at my blog. The former is generally the one they take issue with – like I’ve personally offended them by not being into space books or erotica or whatever. I just ignore it. I work with children all day, I don’t do childish crap when I get home.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you and a couple of people have said that so please, feel free if you want to.😀

      I know! It’s our fault for not reading the genre of their book! No, they should have paid more attention to the policy and really, why would you want someone who doesn’t like the genre reviewing your book anyway.

      Liked by 1 person

  26. Yeah I think #1 is so important cos honestly more often than not it’s nothing personal. hehehe shocking that Stephanie King has not got back to you 😉 hehe the thing is most people that use twitter DM’s haven’t even gone to my blog- I know this because it clearly states on my about that I’m currently closed to submissions. Personally I like to go through sites like Netgalley and request books- that way I can avoid dealing with authors I don’t know directly. Honestly time is the biggest factor for me a lot of the time. And yeah I get authors who are persistent when I’m *really* not interested in the book. I’ve even had times when I explicitly reply “I’m sorry, I don’t read the genre” and the person doesn’t drop it- it doesn’t make me more likely to pick it up, just more irritable. I really relate to what Bethan said- I’ve found the pressure eases off when I don’t focus on doing things like ARCs (and honestly that’s why I have that closed for submissions sign on my about 😉 )
    Seriously awesome post!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you.

      Yeah, it’s mostly nothing personal but occasionally they do take it as personal and they shouldn’t.

      I know, I’m not impressed, I might have to contact Stephanie again and I’m seriously considering asking Jeffrey Martin when Winds of Winter is likely to be released.😂

      Liked by 1 person

      1. You’re welcome.

        Yeah I definitely agree wit you there.

        hahahaha how rude of Stephanie and Jeff (I presume it’s okay to call him Jeff 😉 😂) to not respond- though I understand that Jeff is very sensitive about the Winds of Winter release so maybe that’s why he’s not got back to you 😂

        Liked by 1 person

  27. This is such a great post! For me, it’s usually a timing issue and genre issue. I have a hard enough time getting to the books that I really want to read, so it’s hard to take on books I have never heard of. I will occasionally if I have free time, but it’s so rare now.

    Liked by 1 person

  28. Thanks for writing this all out! My blog isn’t that big and I have only been contacted once (which reminds me I need to respond to them!) so I haven’t had any issues, but someday I hope to get to the point where I get contacted more. It is super helpful to know this stuff ahead of time because I am definately the type of person to let myself get overwhelmed and its nice to be prepared if I ever reach that point! Thanks 🙂

    Liked by 1 person

  29. Well I just have a huge TBR pile that consists of many well known books , most of which I have already purchased for years and haven’t read yet . So .. there’s my reason . Don’t Judge

    Liked by 1 person

  30. I haven’t written up a policy per se, but in my info i did mention that i don’t read / enjoy romance.
    So the requests i’ve turned down were mostly because they asked me to read/review a romance book.

    Liked by 1 person

      1. Ew… don’t give them ideas 😀
        But considering that they would prolly offer me an e-book version, yea, i’m fine with creepy doll books as long as don’t have to look at the cover all the time 😀

        Liked by 1 person

  31. This post was needed ! I agree with it all. I’m not going to lie, if i don’t want to read their book I usually just don’t reply, but that is also because they are offering me e-books and although in my policy I say I prefer physical because of headaches. Also many of the messages I get I am sure are blanket statements, because I will get requests for something that is so clearly not my genre or they have even written the wrong name down. I have not dealt with anyone who was angry. With all that being said I have decided to drastically cut back and I now rarely accept books for review. I would say I am open to requests but I am being picky because I just don’t like feeling obligated.

    Liked by 1 person

  32. Brilliant – covers the pet hates of all bloggers! Another thing I hate is getting a friend request on Facebook from an author who I’ve never come across before, often immediately after I’ve commented on a post in a group or shared on Twitter. Sorry, no, I don’t know you and I have a FB blog page if you want to make contact or better still via the actual blog!

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Eurgh, yeah, that’s annoying. I shared my review for a book yesterday, the author retweeted it and another author actually replied to the tweet, this is with the author of the book I’d reviewed included in it saying that I might like it his book and even included the link! It wasn’t even the same genre as the book review I’d shared!😂 They do have some strange ways and ideas bless them.😂

      Like

  33. Great post Drew!!! I find myself declining the majority of author solicited review request. More often than not, they are just books that do not appeal to me. I think I’ve only agreed to 3 author solicited review requests… 2 didn’t go so well, but the other is now one of my favorite books. It is super awkward when you are in direct contact with an author and you did not like their book. Generally I prefer to go through the publisher now for the reasons you stated above.

    Another reason I’ll decline is because the book has poor ratings on Goodreads. I always research a book before accepting a review request and if it has lower than a 3.5 star rating, I generally will decline on that reason alone.

    Liked by 1 person

    1. Thank you.

      Yeah, can’t fault you for that. I always research a book before agreeing to have an author on my blog anyway, it just seems like the natural thing to do.

      Totally get that. It’s how many feel for that same reason. If you don’t like the book it makes things really awkward, understandable and of course, in that case it means theirs a chance of hassle and having to tell the author you didn’t like their book sucks anyway.

      Like

  34. Great post, Drew. Really interesting to see other blogger’s reasons reflected here as well.
    For me, it’s mostly- time!!! time, time, time. my reading time alone has shrunk significantly over the past year or two and it saddens me the freak out but since I should not be getting paid for reviews, well I better keep my (utterly maddening) dayjob:D hahahaha…

    Liked by 1 person

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.